Generic Name: Potassium chloride (poe TASS ee um)
Brand Name: EPIKLOR, EPIKLOR/25, K-Dur 10, K-Lor, K-Tab, Kal Potassium 99, Kaochlor S-F, Kaon-CL 10, Kaon-CL 20%, Kay Ciel, KCl-20, Klor-Con, Klor-Con 10, Klor-Con 8, Klor-Con M10, Klor-Con M15, Klor-Con M20, Klor-Con/25, Micro-K, Micro-K 10, Rum-K
Form: O-ral capsule, extended release, oral granule, extended release, oral tablet, extended release, oral liquid, intravenous solution, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, compounding powder
Potassium is a mineral which can be gained from many foods and is required for assorted regulation of body, notably beating of heart. Potassium chloride works by preventing or treating low blood levels of potassium (hypokalemia). The levels can be reduced as a result of a disease or after intake of certain medicines, or after long-lasting illness with diarrhea or vomiting.
K-LOR (potassium chloride for oral solution, USP) is a natural fruit-flavored, oral potassium supplement provided in an individual packet in powder form for restructuring. Each packet of the formula is packed in 20 mEq powders which contains 20 mEq potassium and 20 mEq chloride which together consist of potassium chloride 1.5 g.
K-LOR (potassium chloride) powder is an electrolyte refresher. The chemical name is potassium chloride, with the anatomical formula as KCl. The chemical id found in a white, granular powder or as colorless crystals. It is odorless and has a saline type taste. The solutions of it are neutral to litmus. The chemical is liberally soluble in water and completely insoluble in alcohol.
Supply of K-LOR:
K-LOR 20 mEq (Potassium Chloride for Oral Solution) is offered in cartons of 30 packets and 100 packets. Each packet of the formula encompasses potassium, 20 mEq, and chloride, 20 mEq, provided by potassium chloride, 1.5 g.
Following are inactive ingredients in the solution: FD&C Yellow No. 6, maltodextrin, malic acid, saccharin, silica gel and natural flavoring.
The formula works effectively for the treating patients with hypokalemia with or without metabolic alkalosis, in digitalis inebriation, and in patients suffering from hypokalemic familial regular paralysis. The formula works on hypokalemia resulting in diuretic therapy, considering use of a curtailed dose of diuretic, which may prove sufficient without getting affected with hypokalemia. Prevention of hypokalemia in patients will be, e.g., digitalized patients or patients with significant cardiac arrhythmias.
Adults: Dosage should be highly individualized. 40 to 100 mEq/day P.O. in divided doses, restricted to over limit 20 mEq in a single dose. For serum, potassium level above 2.5 mEq/L, 40 mEq/L as preservative to I.V. infusion at a highest rate of 10 mEq/hour; whereas maximum daily dosage is 200 mEq. For serum potassium is to be less than 2 mEq/L, 80 mEq/L as additive to I.V. infusion at a maximum rate of 40 mEq/hour; daily dosage should not exceed the maximum limit of 400 mEq.
Children: Up to 3 mEq/kg or 40 mEq/m2/day as additive to I.V. infusion can be used individually.
Overdose is restricted. Symptoms seen after overdose may include heavy feeling in your arms or legs, confusion, weak or shallow breathing, slow or uneven heartbeat, seizure (convulsions), or feeling like you might pass out.
Using Guide for the Drug:
- Do not administer the drug in larger or smaller amounts for more period than recommended. Follow the directions for use on prescription label.
- Fuse the powder, granule, or liquid form of the medication with at least one-half cup of cold water or fruit juice. Gulp the mixture gradually, over 5 to 10 minutes in all. To make sure you intake the entire dose, add a little more water to the same glass, roil gently and drink right away.
- Avoid crushing, chewing, breaking, or sucking of the tablet or capsule. Swallow the pill as whole at once. Breaking or crushing the medication may lead too much of the drug to be released at one time. Sucking of potassium tablet may irritate mouth or throat.
- An intake of pill is suggested with food or post meal.
- Potassium-rich foods include: squash, baked potatoes (skin on), spinach, lentils, broccoli, brussels sprouts, zucchini, kidney or navy beans, raisins, watermelon, orange juice, bananas, cantaloupe, and low-fat milk or yogurt is suggested for consumption along with the pill.
- Stopping consumption of medication without consulting doctor is to be avoided. Sudden stoppage of the medication may make your condition worst.
- Flushing out medication down the toilet or pouring them through a drain should be prohibited. Properly discard method is to be used when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company to dispose it in most healthy way.
Medication is to be stored at room temperature quite away from moisture and heat, approx. below 86°F (30°C). Store the medication in a closed container. Do not store in the moisturized places like bathroom. Should be strictly kept away from the reach of children, infants and pets.
Consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. Let go the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not intake extra or over medicine to make up the missed dose.
Signs of an allergic due to its content may include: hives; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat and difficulty breathing.
Serious side effects of the medication include: uneven heartbeat, muscle weakness or limp feeling, and numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or mouth and severe stomach pain
Less serious or most common side effects are: mild nausea or upset stomach; mild or occasional diarrhea; slight tingling in your hands or feet; or appearance of a potassium chloride tablet in your stool.
Usage of this medication is to be strictly avoided if you are already suffering from; kidney failure, Addison's disease, severe burns or other tissue injury, dehydrated, Intake of certain diuretics, or suffering from high levels of potassium in blood (hyperkalemia). At times of pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed.
Take this medication with food or just after a meal. Do not restrict intake of pill all of sudden as it may worse conditions.