Generic Name: Latanoprost Ophthalmic (La TAN Oh Prost)
Brand Names: Xalatan, Xalatan Multi-Pack
Dosage Form: Ophthalmic Solution
Xalatan Latanoprost Ophthalmic; Sterile formula is indicated for the controlling of exalted intraocular force in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension. The medication curtails burden in eye by expanding the chunk of fluid which drains from eye. Xalatan which is used for the eyes especially to treat certain types of glaucoma and many other element of high pressure interior of the eye. The drug is contradicted with known hypersensitivity to latanoprost, benzalkonium chloride, or any other ingredients in the drug.
Latanoprost is a prostaglandin F2α analog. Its chemical name is isopropyl-(Z)7[(1R,2R,3R,5S)3,5-dihydroxy-2-[(3R)-3-hydroxy-5-phenylpentyl]cyclopentyl]-5heptenoate; with its molecular formula as C26H40O5.
The main parent content in Xalatan is Latanoprost Ophthalmic. The main active ingredient in the drug is a colorless to slightly yellow oil which is highly soluble in acetonitrile and freely soluble in acetone, ethanol, ethyl acetate, isopropanol, methanol, and octanol. It is practically insoluble in water.
The solution 0.005% is available as a sterile, isotonic, buffered aqueous solution of the main active ingredient with a pH of approximately 6.7 and an osmolality of approximately 267 mOsmol/kg. Each mL of the drug inhibits 50 micrograms of the main active component. Benzalkonium chloride, 0.02% is added as a preservative in the drug.
The inactive ingredients are: sodium chloride, sodium dihydrogen phosphate monohydrate, disodium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous, and water for injection.
One drop of the drug encompasses approx. 1.5 mcg of main active ingredient. The drug is a clear, isotonic, buffered, preserved colorless solution of main active ingredient 0.005% (50 mcg/mL). It is available as a 2.5 mL solution in a 5 mL clear low density polyethylene bottle with a clear polyethylene dropper tip, a turquoise high density polyethylene screw cap, and a tamper-evident clear low density polyethylene overcap.
Xalatan is used for treating high eye pressure/intraocular pressure (IOP) in people with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
The highly suggested dosage pattern which could be brought into practice is one drop in the affected eye(s) once a day, daily in the evening. In case you miss one dose, treatment should be continued with the next coming dose as normal. Contraction of IOP happens immediately post 3 to 4 hours after administration and the maximum effect is found after 8 to 12 hours.
Intravenous infusion of up to 3 mcg/kg is actively volunteered as produced. The production mainly means as plasma concentrations 200 times greater than clinical treatment and with complete no conflicting backlashes were attended. Intravenous dosages of 5.5 to 10 mcg/kg causes abdominal pain, dizziness, fatigue, hot flushes, nausea, and sweating.
By any chance you forget to administer the eye drops, skip the missed dose and you can administer the medication at next regularly scheduled time. It is strictly not recommended to administer extra medicine for making up the missed dose.
Xalatan (Latanoprost Ophthalmic) has to be used wisely from getting saved from its reactions for appropriate application of the drug, below is the using guide:
- Tilt your head backward slightly and drag down your lower eyelid this will create a small pocket like structure. Held the dropper just above eye with the tip downward. Look up and away from the dropper. As soon as you squeeze out a drop from the dropper, close your eye immediately.
- Administer only as much number of drops prescribed by your doctor.
- Gently push your finger to interior edge of eye slightly near your nose for about 1 minute to maintain the liquid from moving into your tear duct.
- If you are prescribed to use more than one drop in the same eye, hold on for approx. 5 minutes before administering the next drop in the eye.
The Xalatan (Latanoprost Ophthalmic) is highly suggested to store away from light. Store unopened bottle(s) of the drug in refrigeration at approx. 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). During shipment to patient, the container of the drug or bottle may be maintained at temperatures up to 40°C (104°F) for a period which may not strictly exceed 8 days. Once a bottle is opened for use, it has to be stored at room temperature up to 25°C (77°F) for 6 weeks.
Consult a doctor or immediately seek medical help if you come across any of the signs of an allergic reaction to the drug like: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Serious side effects which can be caused post intake of Xalatan (Latanoprost Ophthalmic) can be redness, swelling, itching, or pain in or around your eye; oozing or discharge from your eye; increased sensitivity to light; vision changes; or chest pain.
Less serious and more common side effects may include: cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat; headache, dizziness; mild eye discomfort; blurred vision; feeling like something is in your eye; dry or watery eyes; or stinging or burning of the eyes after using the drops.
- Strictly avoid using Latanoprost Ophthalmic solution while putting up contact lenses. This medication may contain a preservative that can discolor soft contact lenses. Wait for approx 15 minutes post administration of the drug and before wearing your contact lenses in.
- Use the drug absolutely as guided by your doctor. Do not utilize larger or smaller chunk of dose for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label for appropriate usage of the drug.
- Rinse your hand thoroughly before administrating Xalatan (Latanoprost Ophthalmic) eye drops.
- No overall changes in safety or effectiveness have been seen between elderly and younger patients.