Generic Name: Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol (dro SPY re nown, ETH in il, ESS tra dy ol)
Brand Names: Gianvi, Loryna, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah
Dosage Form: Oral tablet
Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) averts ovulation which release of an egg from an ovary and also cause revision in cervical and uterine lining, by making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to joint on to the uterus.
The drug is majorly used as contraception to prevent pregnancy. The drug also effectively works on treating mild acne in women who are at least 14 years old and have just started practicing menstrual periods, lastly for them who desires to consume birth control pills so as to prevent pregnancy.
These tablets provide an oral contraceptive procedure dwelling of 28 film-coated tablets which contain the ingredients particularized for each tablet like: 21 yellow tablets which each contain 3 mg DRSP and 0.03 mg EE and 7 inert white tablets.
The inactive ingredients in the yellow pills are lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, pregelatinized starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose, macrogol 6000 NF, titanium dioxide, talc, and ferric oxide pigment, yellow NF. The white inert film-coated pills inhibits lactose monohydrate NF, corn starch NF, povidone 25000 NF, magnesium stearate NF, hypromellose, talc, and titanium dioxide respectively.
Drospirenone (6R,7R,8R,9S,10R,13S,14S,15S,16S,17S)-l,3',4',6,6a,7,8,9,10,ll,12,13, 14,15,15a,16-hexadecahydro-10,13-dimethylspiro-[17H-dicyclopropa-[6,7:15,16] cyclopenta[a]phenanthrene-17,2'(5H)-furan]-3,5'(2H)-dione) is an artificial progestational mixture with molecular weight of 366.5 and a molecular formula as C24H30O3.
Ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17α-pregna l,3,5(10)-triene-20-yne-3,17-diol) is an artificial estrogenic mixture with a molecular weight of 296.4 and a molecular formula as C20H24O2.
The patient is suggested to intake Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) on the very first day of her menstrual period cycle or on the first Sunday after the onset of her menstrual period. Take one tablet by mouth at the same time every day. The failure rate may increase when pills are missed or taken incorrectly.
Over dosage is dangerous and should be avoided. Only one dose is suggested in 24 hours. Overdose symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, and vaginal bleeding.
- Missing a pill develops your risk of becoming pregnant at a higher rate.
- In case you miss one active pill, take two pills on the day that you remember. Later go on with consuming one pill per day for rest of the pack.
- In case you miss two active pills in a row in week 1 or 2, immediately consume two pills per day for two days in a row. Then you can jump back to daily schedule of consuming one pill per day for the rest of the pack. Adopt back-up birth control for at least 7 days consecutively post the missed pills.
- If you miss two or three active pills consecutively, in week 3 throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack from the same day as your Day 1 starter.
- If you skip two or more pills, you may not hold a period during that month. If you fail to gain a period for two months in a row, consult a doctor as soon as possible as you might be at high risk of getting pregnant.
- If you miss a reminder pill, throw it away and continue consuming one reminder pill per day until the pack is empty.
- Administer Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) pills on the very first day of your period or first Sunday after your period starts. You may need to use back-up birth control, such as condoms or a spermicide, when you have just started getting treated under this drug.
- Consume one pill every day, no more than 24 hours apart. In case you miss the dose chances of getting pregnant increases.
- The 28 day birth control pack contains seven "reminder" pills to keep you on your regular cycle. Your period will usually begin while you are using these reminder pills.
- You may have breakthrough like bleeding, especially in the first 3 months. Consulting a doctor is must in such cases.
Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) is suggested to be stored at room temperature away from moisture and heat. The preferred temprate of storing the drug is at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15-30°C (59-86°F).
Allergic reaction to the drug may include consitions like: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Serious side effect which could be seen in patients consuming Yasmin (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) may be like: immediate numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body; immediate and serious headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance; chest pain or heavy feeling, pain growing to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling; sudden cough, wheezing, quick breathing, coughing up blood; pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs; a change in the pattern or severity of migraine headaches; nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice like yellowing of the skin or eyes; blister in your hands, ankles, or feet; a breast lump; or symptoms of depression like sleep problems, weakness, tired feeling and mood changes.
Some Less serious side effects may be listed as: mild nausea which could include your first start taking with this medication, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps; breast tenderness or swelling, nipple discharge; freckles or darkening of facial skin, enhancement in hair growth, loss of scalp hair; changes in weight or appetite; problems with contact lenses; vaginal itching or discharge; or revision in your menstrual periods or decreased or lower sex drive.
- Smoking can raise your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack caused by the drug, especially if you age is more than 35. The tablet may be highly probable to inhibit blood clots than other types of birth curbing pills.
The drug does not conserve you from sexually addressed diseases - including HIV and AIDS. Using a condom is the only way to protect yourself from these diseases.